100 Years in 2019
Affiliated with the Wireless Institute of Australia
The Waverley Amateur Radio Society was formed in 1919 in the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney and is the oldest, continuously licensed, amateur radio club in Australia. It is a very active club and caters for the hobbies of amateur radio and electronics with a variety of activities.
NOTICE: The Waverley Amateur Radio Society is actively monitoring the evolving nature of the Coronavirus pandemic and will respond to advice from government and NSW Health as to best practice regarding the conduct of meetings and club activities. Subject to evolving NSW Government regulations, we will recommence physical meetings with a limited number of participants. We will also implement social distancing rules and provide hand washing and disinfection facilities. Members will receive further information via email.
We are also holding Video Conference meetings, and some face to face ones (when permitted) with limited participant physical meetings. Members will get an email link for video meetings.
Those who have travelled within the last 14 days or who have symptoms of flu-like illness should seek medical advice. The NSW Health website provides details as to an appropriate course of action :-https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/
NEWS: IRLP/Echolink/Allstar & VKMultiNet Node is now operational.
Check out usage instructions and status page: http://vk2rot.vk2bv.org
WE ARE STILL SHIPPING OUR KITS:-
The club is also active on Facebook
What are the benefits of being a W.A.R.S Member?
Many Thanks to Spectrum Networks for sponsoring our NBN Internet Connection.
Was held on 19:30 on Wednesday 16th September 2020… : Lecture by Kerrie Dougherty-past Space Museum Curator and visiting lecturer-International Space University- about 1st Aussie Satellite Oscar 5-By Zoom.
WARS Comes 1st in Australia in the 2019 & 2018 CQ WW DX SSB Contest!
WARS wins 2018 John Moyle Field Day Category (again!)
Thanks to :VK2ALR,VK2EFL,VK2GPL,VK2HDX,VK2HHS,VK2JDH VK2KZ,VK2LJ,VK2LWB,VK2PSF,VK2RH,VK2RF,VK2VE,VK2VEL,VK2VJB.
WARS has been activating the Macquarie Light for the past 15 years during this annual event.
Team VK2BV won the AU Multi-Multi section of CQ WW-DX-SSB in 2017! Congratulations!!!!
Team VK2BV operated in the 2018 John Moyle Field Day and won it’s category AGAIN!
A special guest speaker, Ross Clements, gave a fascinating talk at the April 2018 regular Club Meeting about ” Cracking Germany’s Enigma Code in World War II”, and demonstrated his home built working replica.
Membership Renewals for 2019.
This is just a reminder that Membership renewals for 2019 were due 1st January. If you haven’t renewed yet, please do so via Paypal, direct bank transfer, cheque by post, or cash at a meeting. Annual Subs are $30 , or $20 Concessions.
Bank deposits for subscriptions and other payments can be made to Waverley Amateur Radio Society, Westpac BSB 732-051 Account Number: 71-6694. Please include details on the transfer (eg VK2ZZ subscription) and email (treasurer at vk2bv dot org) with details of your payment. Alternatively, payments can be made to firstname.lastname@example.org via Paypal, with details in the comments field.
Postal address: PO Box 634, Rose Bay NSW 2029
CQ WW SSB – 27th TO 30th October: Members of WARS were operating from the Southern Highlands.
We also received two IARU Worked All Continents Awards
- Audio Recording of ISS contact – 26 april 2021 - On 26 April, via technology managed by ARISS we participated in a contact with the ISS. It was a long signal chain that started with a telebridge using a mobile phone and PTT microphone that linked to VK4KHZ (Shane) as a local moderator and ON4ISS (Jan) at the reception ground-station and then RF link to … Continue reading Audio Recording of ISS contact – 26 april 2021
- NANO VNA Beginners guide - Check out this NanoVNA beginners guide : http://vk2bv.org/nanovna-guide/
- VK2BV on the Iss - On 26 April, via technology managed by ARISS we participated in a contact with the ISS. It was a long signal chain that starts with a telebridge using a mobile phone link and PTT microphone that links to VK4KHZ (Shane) as a local moderator and ON4ISS (Jan) and then via RF to the ISS on … Continue reading VK2BV on the Iss
- Education - We are currently collaborating with ARNSW to hold a physical Foundation Licence Course and Assessments. This was scheduled for 10& 11 July 2021, but due to the latest Covid lockdown, has had to be postponed to a date to be advised. Information is HERE: Last Day to Register was 5 PM Friday 18th June 2021.
- JOHN MOYLE FIELD DAY 2021 - Plans are afoot for the expedition to Tooraweenah this year after being frustrated by the COVID19 pandemic in 2020. Notwithstanding change in public heath advise we are going. For the JMFD 2021 and we will compete in the 6hr All Modes Section. The start time will be decided by the competition manger to give us … Continue reading JOHN MOYLE FIELD DAY 2021
- New – 2 Letter Callsign – VK2YV - The club has been successful in gaining an additional 2 letter callsign. – VK2YV It may be familiar to you. It was Rob Bellamy’s (SK) call sign for a number of years. We were able to secure the callsign after a recommendation from the AMC when the call became available. This additional call sign will … Continue reading New – 2 Letter Callsign – VK2YV
- Lighthouse Day - Our club plans to activate Macquarie Light again this year for the International Lighthouse & Lightship Weekend on Saturday August 22. We’ll be setting up portable in the surrounding grounds with plenty of room for social distancing! Active bands will be most likely 40M and 20M in CW and SSB, running on battery power. Even … Continue reading Lighthouse Day
- Ferry Contest–One more sleep….. - The WARS annual Ferry Contest is on tomorrow. This has meant a period of preparation which has included charging batteries, checking radios, updating programming, printing log sheets, packing backpacks, arranging water and snacks and may other similar tasks. For those new to the event you can inspect some useful hints regarding travel and what to … Continue reading Ferry Contest–One more sleep…..
- Ferry Contest Update - The Ferry Contest will soon be with us on Sunday 8th March 2020 for the fifth incarnation of this unique event. For this year we have introduced a “wildcard” category of contacts where our “pop-up” station will be available throughout the day for contacts with famous seafarers that will score a bonus of 10 points … Continue reading Ferry Contest Update
- Ferry Contest 2020 - Save the date! The date for the 5th edition of the Sydney Harbour Amateur Radio Ferry Contest is set for Sunday 8th March. As usual the contest will operate between 10:00 and 16:00 local time. Further details will be published in the new year with the contest rules and procedures as well as other helpful … Continue reading Ferry Contest 2020
Created: 30/10/95 Updated: 17/02/15